Tuesday, July 25, 2017

TENTH Annual Fundraiser raised $15,000!!! We are overwhelmed by your generosity!!!! PLUS exciting news about growing the scholarship AND Matt's birthday this year....


I have wanted to post since Matt's birthday in February and then again after the fundraiser but here we are in July, a few days after the 11th anniversary of his death and the time is right...

WOW!!! We cannot believe how successful our TENTH annual fundraiser was.  THANK YOU all so much for your incredible support!!!! There are SO many people to thank BUT we especially want to thank the people who have donated items to the silent auction every year for the past 10 years: Jackie, Rian, Matt H and LoDo's Bar & Grill....to Grapevine Liquor and JJ Heims for providing drinks and printing the invitations, AND to Amy & Octavio for donating so generously EVERY year & to the Patricia Crowley Foundation for your continued support. We continue to feel overwhelmed by your commitment to growing Matt's Scholarship....
Thank you Susie & Rick for providing such beautiful, amazing food for the fundraiser AND to Sarah, Beth, Mary Ann, Lara, & the Prykes for all of your help during the fundraiser!

We are very excited to announce that we are gearing up to open a new area at North Middle School dedicated to Matt, the ME Wing.  This new space will include a mindfulness room for the students to use in lieu of traditional detention.  We will post more detailed information when we have it but we wanted you all to know that your support has made this all possible.  Matt will be a permanent presence at North AND we will now be able to offer support to all of the students at North, not just the scholarship nominees and winners!!!! More to come.....


Bald eagle we saw at City Park on Matt's 38th Birthday, February 6, 2017

Finally, I have wanted to write about Matt's birthday this year and somehow the time slipped away. Kahlil and I went for a walk in City Park on February 6th and saw a bald eagle.  It was beyond amazing!! I felt like it was a beautiful connection to Matt....it made me drop in to what his 38th birthday meant to me.  I thought about how significant my 38th birthday was for me....it was the year I was pregnant with Kahlil....such a blessing.  February 6th was such a bittersweet day, as it always is, but this year I felt so much sadness that Matt was never able to become a father yet his spirit is so very present in his nephew and nieces.  I realized that this past decade for me began with the death of my beautiful younger brother Matthew (4 months after I turned 30) AND ended with the birth of my beautiful son, Kahlil Matthew (4 months before I turned 40).  And Selecia and Adalea were born into our family during that decade....so many blessings amongst the darkest period of my life....and that's really what it is all about...this being human....bright beautiful light coming out of complete darkness....joy and sorrow on the same coin....can't have one without the other....it means missing Matt everyday and remembering to feel grateful for our blessings everyday.  It is a daily practice, especially with the darkness in the world right now, but we are being called to bring forth our light....bright, open, vulnerable, real....find our healing and support others along the way....and out of this a beautiful healing space, the ME Wing, is being birthed at North Middle School and I feel grateful for what this decade will bring.....sending love & light to all of you....thank you Matt for continuing to stay close...we miss and love you....

2017 Scholarship winners

No comments: